Homemade Veggie Soup Stock

When I came up with the idea of the blog, it had been my intention that not everything I post about would be homemade. Personally I enjoy making things myself, but also recognise that people with less time might see it as a barrier to reducing the waste in their home.

In some cases though, it is hard to imagine how you would acquire something waste-free if you didn't make it yourself. I think soup stock is an example of that. I have yet to see soup stock come in any format besides tetra-packs, cans, or plastic tubs of concentrate.

I have made stock myself for a couple of years now, most often of the chicken variety. I make a lot of soups and chilis for my lunches at work and it can be very handy to have stock already made. I don't typically make meat-based soups for lunches, so I thought it was time to make some veggie stock for my growing list of vegetarian soup ideas.

This isn't really a cooking blog, so I don't want to bother posting a recipe for the veggie stock. Suffice it to say that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of veggie stock recipes available on the Internet. A simple Google search should give you lots of good options for how you make yours. Generally speaking though, veggie stock does not take very long to make, and uses pretty basic ingredients. Here's my end result.



I used some of this for a batch of soup, which I froze and took to work for future lunches. The rest of the stock I froze in 1.5 cup quantities (because I only had 2 cup containers available at the time), and stuck in my freezer. Don't forget that when you freeze it, it's going to expand, so it needs to be in a container with some extra space in it.

At some point this year I plan on acquiring a pressure canner. Freezer space is getting limited in our household and it would really take the pressure off, and allow me to make larger batches at once, if I could can stocks instead of freeze them. So stay tuned for that!

Do you make your own stock? Leave a comment!

Comments

Popular Posts