When Life Gives You Sad Bread

I have been trying to use our slow cooker more recently. We have had one around for a while now but I have a hard time finding anything to use it for. It seems to me the only benefit to it is that you can leave it running when you are asleep or not home, but we are just not the sort of people who are organized enough to set something up to cook before we go to work. We try to do the bulk of our cooking on the weekend and then eat quick leftovers all week.

I did see a number of recipes for slow cooker bread though, that I thought seemed like a good idea. However, rather than follow a proper recipe, I thought I would see what would happen if I used my regular bread recipe on the warm setting, overnight.


As you can see, it created a flat disc of bread.

Rather than eat the sad thing as-is, or throw it out, I thought I would prep for CSA season (which just started) by making it into croutons.

To make croutons, just cut the bread up into small cubes, toss with some olive oil and herbs (I used red pepper flakes, oregano, salt, pepper, and paprika), and toast in the oven until dried out. I set my oven to 300 degrees, but I would probably go lower next time. I added some nutritional yeast after they were done baking.



I would love to show you a photo of the finished product, but the truth is that I over-cooked them a little bit, and I didn't want to discourage you by showing you over-toasted croutons. So remember to set a timer for every 10 minutes to make sure you don't overdo it. Ok, fine, here they are. Just imagine them slightly... lighter. :)



Anyways, I will still be eating them on my salads, despite their over-doneness, but next time I will be more careful.

What do you do with a bread fail? Leave a comment!

Comments

Popular Posts