CSA - Weeks #5 and #6

As usual, just a quick look of what we've been eating for the last two weeks. Eagle Creek has shown a lot of effort in reducing their plastic bag use lately. This week I even overheard them declining to provide bags to people who forgot to bring their own. The first few weeks they were providing optional bags for some items, but it's looking like they're trying to stop doing this. People have had plenty of reminders and warning that this was coming, so I think it's great.

Week #5:
This delivery was so big I had to move to a different location to take a photo. Beets, carrots, onions, peas, garlic, turnips, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, and parsley. A lot of the beet and turnip greens got made into veggie lasagnas for the freezer. Of course my cat was keen to see if any of these greens were worth nibbling on.



Week #6:
There were definitely less greens in this delivery but some nice variety of other things. Carrots, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, garlic, dill, spring onions, radishes, kale, kohlrabi, and spinach.



I am writing this on Tuesday of Week #6 and can tell you that I am just finishing up the lettuce and peas from Week #5. The delivery was so big last week we had a hard time getting through all of it after going away for the weekend. We haven't even started eating Week #6 yet, and next delivery is in two days!

It's hard to complain when veggies are so abundant, but of course, I can't let anything go to waste. Tonight I will be making a batch of carrot coconut lentil soup to use up a bunch of the carrots and freeze for the winter. Typically I eat soup for lunch at work during the winter, so by the time we're through the CSA season, I should have lots pre-made!

Are you in a CSA this year? Leave a comment!

Comments

Popular Posts